Ecobiology 2 (Regional Ecosystems)
2. Why are the waters of the Sea of Cortez renowned for their biodiversity?
3. Describe the characteristics of each of the intertidal zones, as well as the abiotic factors that influence the intertidal zone
Photos from the Sky Islands trip to CEDO in Puerto Penasco
Sea of Cortez Invertebrate Database
Good website on the Gulf and its ecology
Good video on the ecology and conservation of the Sea of Cortez
2. What is evaporative cooling? What methods of evaporative cooling do different species in the desert use?
3. How are humans as a species adapted to desert environments?
2. What characteristics separate vertebrates from other chordates?
3. Describe the course of vertebrate evolution in your own words
2. Describe the molting process, and explain why arthropods need to molt
3. Summarize the differences between the 3 classes of uniramians
4. Describe the two different types of insect life cycles
2. Describe the factors that influence the boundaries of life zones, and explain how
3. Choose a mountain range in the Sky Islands region and describe its abiotic characteristics, including location, elevation, climate, weather, and life zones. Cite your sources
2. Describe how the Baja peninsula formed
3. Summarize the effect of glacial and interglacial cycles on the Sonoran Desert
Big, full- color map of the North American Deserts
Another one, with elevation included
Sonoran Desert region map
Sonoran Desert Subdivisions map, with elevation
2. Describe the fungal life cycle and reproduction
3. Identify and describe each of the feeding modes that fungi use
4. Describe the characteristics of each of the major fungal groups
Some frogs may be developing a chytrid fungus resistance
What's in a lichen? How scientists got it wrong for over 150 years
How parasitic cordyceps fungi control their hosts
2. What were the problems with traditional methods of classification, and why?
3. Complete the 'Quick Lab' on derived characters from your "Modern Evolutionary Classification" handout
OneZoom Tree of Life Explorer
Catalogue of Life species database
Tree of Life Web Project
Animal Diversity Web
Helpful video on explaining cladograms and phylogenetic trees