Plant Biology 2 (Food Biology)
2. What is RNA? How is it different from DNA? Also, describe the three types of RNA
3. Describe what happens in both transcription and translation
2. What are the drawbacks to using Bt crops instead of pesticides? How could Bt crops affect non-target organisms?
3. What are the arguments against organic farming being able to feed the growing human population? What are the criticisms of these arguments?
Why haven't GMO crops made food better?
Why synthetic foods have scientists nervous
Genetically modified salmon heading to restaurants soon
Genetically modified meat could soon be on your plate
The 'Doomsday Vault' that protects the Earth's food supply
How scientists could save the banana from extinction
Genetically engineered fungi used to kill mosquitoes
2. Why has hunger increased even though food production is at an all-time high?
3. Describe how alternative food production methods in Cuba were able to feed the whole population
2. Explain each of the soil management options, and identify which method you think is the most effective, and why
Plants experience stress- what that means for a changing environment
Organic farming could feed the world, if we change our eating habits
2. Describe how each step in the process works
3. Describe why each cycle is important in terms of food and food biology
How does Earth's carbon cycle work?
2. Explain why cells in a multicellular organism need to divide
3. Describe each phase of mitosis
2. Summarize the stages of the immune response
3. Describe how diet influences the immune system
Highly processed foods linked to cancer (includes a list)
The relationship between gut microbes and cancer
2. Name the two types of fermentation, and describe the differences between them
3. Contrast photosynthesis and cellular respiration. How are they different?
2. Describe the differences between anabolism and catabolism
3. What is insulin? What role does it play in metabolism?
Our love of starch changed our genes
Excellent website database for Foods to Avoid
Same website- 'chemical cuisine'- additive rankings
2. Describe what each of the following nutrients are used for in the body: carbohydrates, fats, protein, minerals, and vitamins
3. What are free radicals? What do they do, and how can they be eliminated from the body?
Where does 'American' food come from?